Saturday, April 3, 2010

Never So Happy to Admit I was Wrong!

Amazon is now showing November 23, 2010 as the release date for the long-awaited Surrender to the Will of the Night, Book 3 of Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night. I've been saying for a while that the trade paperback reprinting of of the first two books of the series, scheduled for this month and for August of this year, suggested that the series would be continued in only that format, with it likely that this third volume, and the in-progress fourth volume would never see hardcover release.

I'm delighted to be proven wrong. The Amazon listing says it will be a hardcover release, and only a hardcover release, unlike, say, Steven Erikson's and Ian C. Esslemont's Malazan books, which see simultaneous hardcover and trade paperback release (from the same gallies, for which a small percentage receive a hardcover, while the majority get a softcover). I would guess that the trade paperback for Surrender... would come out in 2011, and perhaps there won't be a massmarket paperback, or that might come still later.

Speaking of Esslemont, I just picked up the massmarket edition of his Night of Knives. I read the trade paperback last year, and enjoyed it. However, since I'm collecting Erikson's Malazan books in massmarket format, I wanted my copy of Knight of Knives to match them, even though the trade version was recently offered at a remaindered price. Esslemont's second Malazan novel, Return of the Crimson Guard, comes out in around ten days. I look forward to reading it, but I've seen suggestions that readers ought to be through at least Book 6 (The Bonehunters) of Erikson's series, for Return... to fit in place properly, and I'm only ready to begin Book 4 (House of Chains). I have plenty of time to continue with Erikson's books at a leisurely pace, before the eventual massmarket edition of Return... comes out to look good on my shelf with the other Malazan titles.

Back to Cook, November of this year should be an exciting time for his fans, since Gilded Latten Bones will be out at the start of the month, and Surrender to the Will of the Night three weeks later. I'm not a fan of November, in general, but I'll be looking forward to it this year!

2 comments:

Jambo said...

Good to hear the Instrumentalities series is continuing. I have been waiting to start reading it until all of the books are out. As for Malazan, I would definitely wait unit you've finished Bonehunters, or better yet Reaper's Gale, before you read Return of the Crimson Guard. I have about 100 pages left in Dust of Dreams, and it is really really good!

Marc said...

So if I wait till after Reaper's Gale, I definitely have plenty of time before I get to Return of the Crimson Guard!

Whenever you do get around to The Instrumentalities of the Night, look online for guides to the geography of the world. It is like our world in roughly the 12th Century, but most countries and places have different names (Gibraltar is essentially the same).